Course Hero, Inc. ("Course Hero
" or "we
As used in this policy, the terms "using" and "processing" information include using cookies on a computer, subjecting the information to statistical or other analysis and using or handling information in any way, including, but not limited to collecting, storing, evaluating, modifying, deleting, using, combining, disclosing and transferring information within our organization or among our affiliates within the United States or internationally. Information Collection and Use
Our primary goals in collecting information are to provide and improve our Site, services, features and content, to administer your Membership (together, the "Services") and to enable users to enjoy and easily navigate the Site.
Personally Identifiable Information.
- In the course of using the Site and Services (e.g., in connection with your registration and booking a tutor), we will ask you for personally identifiable information. This refers to information about you that can be used to contact or identify you ("Personal Information"). Personal Information includes, but is not limited to, your name, phone number, credit card or other billing information, postal address and email address. We use your Personal Information mainly to provide the Services and administer your inquiries.
- We also collect the other information that you provide as part of your use of the Site and Services (e.g., without limitation, grade, school and area of academic interest of your student, scheduling information and zip code (on its own) and individual preferences) ("Non-Identifying Information").
- We use your Personal Information (in some cases, in conjunction with your Non-Identifying Information) mainly to provide the Services, complete your transactions, and administer your inquiries.
- Certain Non-Identifying Information would be considered a part of your Personal Information if it were combined with other identifiers (for example, combining your zip code with your street address) in a way that enables you to be identified. But the same pieces of information are considered Non-Identifying Information when they are taken alone or combined only with other non-identifying information (for example, your viewing preferences). We may combine your Personal Information with Non-Identifying Information and aggregate it with information collected from other Cardinal Scholars Users (defined below) to attempt to provide you with a better experience, to improve the quality and value of the Services and to analyze and understand how our Site and Services are used.
- We also use your Personal Information to contact you with Cardinal Scholars newsletters, marketing or promotional materials and other information that may be of interest to you. If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to receive such communications from us, please follow the unsubscribe instructions provided in any of the communications. (See "Changing or Deleting Information," below.)
. When you visit the Site, whether as a Member or a non-registered user just browsing (any of these, a "Cardinal Scholars User
"), our servers automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website ("Log Data
"). This Log Data may include information such as your computer’s Internet Protocol ("IP
") address, browser type or the webpage you were visiting before you came to our Site, pages of our Site that you visit, the time spent on those pages, information you search for on our Site, access times and dates, and other statistics. We use this information to monitor and analyze use of the Site and the Services and for the Site’s technical administration, to increase our Site’s functionality and user-friendliness, and to better tailor it to our visitors’ needs. We also use this information to verify that visitors to the Site meet the criteria required to process their requests. Cookies
Like many websites, we use "cookies" to collect information. A cookie is a small data file that we transfer to your computer’s hard disk for record-keeping purposes. We utilize persistent cookies to save your login information for future logins to the Site. You can instruct your browser, by changing its options, to stop accepting cookies or to prompt you before accepting a cookie from the websites you visit. If you do not accept cookies, however, you may not be able to use all portions of the Site or all functionality of the Services.Phishing
Identity theft and the practice currently known as "phishing" are of great concern to Course Hero. Safeguarding information to help protect you from identity theft is a top priority. We do not and will not, at any time, request your credit card information, login information, or national identification numbers in a non-secure or unsolicited e-mail or telephone communication. For more information about phishing, visit the Federal Trade Commission’s website.Invite a Friend
If you choose to invite a friend to use the Site and Services, we will collect the email address of such friend for the purpose of sending a one-time email invitation to use the Site and Services. We will not use the email address for any other purposes. Your friend may request that we delete his or her email address from our records by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org
. Information Sharing and DisclosureCommunicating with Tutors
. If you choose to communicate with a tutor related to a tutoring experience via the Site, we will share the content of the communication with the applicable tutor. Providing such information is voluntary. The applicable tutor will have access to your communication only in connection with providing and improving his or her tutoring services and is obligated not to disclose or use your communication for any other purpose. Tutors
. We will share your Personal Information, including, but not limited to, your name, and your email address, postal address and phone number with the tutor you select via the Site and Services so that the tutor can contact you per your request and prepare for the applicable Lesson. Aggregate Information and Non-Identifying Information
. We may share aggregated information that does not include Personal Information and we may otherwise disclose Non-Identifying Information and Log Data with third parties for industry analysis, demographic profiling and other purposes. Any aggregated information shared in these contexts will not contain your Personal Information. Service Providers
. We may employ third party companies and individuals to facilitate our Services, to provide the Services on our behalf, to perform Site-related services (e.g., without limitation, maintenance services, database management, payment processing, web analytics and improvement of the Site’s features) or to assist us in analyzing how our Site and Services are used. These third parties have access to your Personal Information only to perform these tasks on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose. Compliance with Laws and Law Enforcement
. Course Hero cooperates with government and law enforcement officials and private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We will disclose any information about you to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate to respond to claims and legal process (including but not limited to subpoenas), to protect the property and rights of Course Hero or a third party, to protect the safety of the public or any person, or to prevent or stop activity we may consider to be, or to pose a risk of being, illegal, unethical or legally actionable activity. Business Transfers
. Course Hero may sell, transfer or otherwise share some or all of its assets, including your Personal Information, in connection with a merger, acquisition, reorganization or sale of assets or in the event of bankruptcy. Changing or Deleting Your Information
All Members may review, update, correct or delete the Personal Information they have provided to Course Hero via the Site and Services by contacting us. If you completely delete all such information, then your Account may become deactivated. If you would like us to delete your Account in our system, please contact us at email@example.com
with a request that we delete your Personal Information from our database. We will use commercially reasonable efforts to honor your request. We may retain an archived copy of your records as required by law or for legitimate business purposes. Security
We will make any legally required disclosures of any breach of the security, confidentiality, or integrity of your unencrypted electronically stored "personal data" (as defined in applicable state statutes on security breach notification) to you via email or conspicuous posting on this Site in the most expedient time possible and without unreasonable delay, insofar as consistent with (i) the legitimate needs of law enforcement or (ii) any measures necessary to determine the scope of the breach and restore the reasonable integrity of the data system.International Transfer
Our Site may contain links to other websites. If you choose to visit a third party link, you will be directed to that third party’s website. The fact that we link to a website is not an endorsement, authorization or representation of our affiliation with that third party, nor is it an endorsement of their privacy or information security policies or practices. We do not exercise control over third party websites. These other websites may place their own cookies or other files on your computer, collect data or solicit personal information from you. Other sites follow different rules regarding the use or disclosure of the personal information you submit to them. We encourage you to read the privacy policies or statements of the other websites you visit. Our Policy Toward Children
This Site and Services are not directed to persons under 13. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under 13. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with Personal Information without their consent, he or she should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
. If we become aware that a child under 13 has provided us with Personal Information, we will delete such information from our files. Contacting Us
or at 805 Veterans Blvd, Suite 109 Redwood City, CA 94063.